Friday, October 14, 2011

My First Acupuncture Experience and Tips for the Acupuncture-Naive


At my first acupuncture visit, I arrived as the naive patient I was and not as the medical student I’ve been trained to be.  Instead of emulating the perfect patient that I always dream for, I arrived slightly late with incomplete forms and without proper payment methods (cash/check).  I finished the ten pages of forms a few seconds before I was whisked away from my two 3-year students and their preceptor.   Immediately, I was impressed that a student-run clinic actually was functioning on schedule!
The patient interview consisted of some standard Western medical questions interspersed with some questions I definitely didn’t expect, including whether I liked cold or hot beverages and what kind of dreams I had at night.  Rushed, out-of-breath, and slightly sweaty, the students looked at me with concerned eyes and questioned my sleep and energy level.  After feeling my pulse three different ways in both hands, they left to discuss a treatment strategy and left me to relax on the table.
When they returned, I lay as the students “needled” me on my feet, ankles, knees, stomach, sternum, head, wrists – and I’m sure multiple other points that I didn’t even realize.  My treatment was for an immune boost (due to the upcoming cold season), general well-being, and “liver boost”.  After the needles were in, I was left to lie on the table for about 15-20 minutes.  The students came back to remove the needles and asked if I had any pain or new symptoms, and then the visit was done.
Michelle, an acupuncturist here at ITPCU who also teaches at the school, said I “looked great!” after my treatment.  She claimed she witnessed a marked improvement, but my sleepy boyfriend could not.  While I’m not sure if it was the forced relaxation or the actual treatment, but I definitely felt more awake and energized! 
I definitely want to go back, but I want to go back with a concrete complaint.  Therefore, I’ll have a more complete experience with acupuncture treating physical symptoms versus general well-being.
A Few Lessons for the Acupuncture Newbie:
1.   Wear loose and short clothes – points are placed on the ankles, knees, stomach…basically everywhere
2.   Relax as much as possible – falling asleep is fine, especially if you’re getting therapeutic benefit from it
3.   The needles hurt minimally when they’re being inserted at the acupuncture points.  If anything hurts after the initial entry of the needle, let them know!  Acupuncture is NOT supposed to hurt.
4.   Try not to move after the needles have been inserted.  I moved my finger slightly, and I definitely felt my tendon moving against the needle.  Try to stay as still as possible.
5.   Try to relax – you’ll benefit more from the experience if you do.
6.  Bring the right payment method!  Stressful runs to ATMs after treatments is an easy way to ruin your post-needle buzz.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this helpful post. I've been planning to attend an acupuncture session for some time now. However, I haven't had the guts because I'm afraid how it will feel once the needle is inserted in my body. But since you said that it wasn't supposed to hurt, I would definitely try this and see how I would benefit from this amazing treatment.

    Erik Denmon

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you feel after the session? I was quite skeptical with this Chinese method involving needles. But, my father, who has been doing this for quite sometime now, asked me to give it a go. I'm not really a fan of needles but if you let the therapy sink in, you will feel a little different. But, I think to reach the full benefit of this therapy, you have to do it at least once a week.

    Dorsey Marvin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facing your fear sounds worth it, at least based on your acupuncture experience. I, myself, am not a fan of needles. But reading your blog, there could be more to acupuncture than facing my fear – it is promising when it comes to treating physical illnesses and improving one’s holistic well-being.

    Maragaret Schmitz

    ReplyDelete